Monday, February 8, 2010

Neti Pot Miracles

Maybe it is the dryness of my forced air heating or the damp of the California rains I'll never know. What ever the external cause I have had mildly blogged sinuses since I had an odd sort of cold a few weeks ago. Just the sort of thing you keep telling yourself, "this will go away on it's own" but it hasn't. So finally I'm taking my own best advise and getting out the trusted neti pot.

I personally like the plastic neti "horn". It is soft, warm and the angle of the spout makes the whole thing work really well. Plus, it comes with a little salt measuring spoon so you get the dilution right everytime for a pleasant no sting experience. (If you suspect you may have an infection try adding a pinch of turmeric powder. It is a natural antibiotic. Of course if the problems gets worse do see a doctor.) After gently but thoroughly blowing my nose I put 1/4 teaspoon of organic coconut oil in each nostril. The easiest way to do that is to lay on your back on your bed with your head over the side so your nose is as verticle as possible. Put the oil in semi solid and lay there until it melts. When you sit up have a tissue ready for drips! It has worked every time in the past. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should try Nasopure at nasopure.com. It is a flexible easy to use bottle and already measured salt packets. No tilting needed. The nasal wash not only gets rid of the bacteria and germs but thins the secretions in the sinuses. We started using nasopure after my 5 yr old son with Cystic Fibrosis and significant sinus disease had two sinus surgeries. We needed a way to keep his sinuses clean but was easy enough for him to use. This is part of every day life for us now. I knoq it is not a cure for infection but it has truly made a difference with his sinuses.
Lissa

Unknown said...

Yep, I second the Nasopure! It is so easy to use and makes a huge difference in my day!