Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ayurveda local or Indian?

It has come up once this last week and it took me back a little then it came up again and that got me thinking. Ayurveda local or Indian?

The first time the question came up recently was when I was on a radio talk show. I was giving information about abhyanga and the use of various custom oils. I made the suggestion of mahanarayan oil to help comfort rheumatic joints. A caller came back with the request not for the best source of organic mahanarayan oil but what could I suggest that could be sourced more locally. I suggested ginger or garlic oil.

The second time was on an email contact from a company in Peru asking if using Ayurvedic spa techniques with local herbal oils and plant materials would be something I thought would be a viable idea.

My response in both cases is on the one hand, we are blessed to have Ayurveda because it is a very complete system of totally trust worthy principles and, on the other hand, I believe the spirit of Ayurveda calls us to apply these principles in our own lives, in our own way with the materials we find talk to us. So yes, I support the idea of oils made from local ingredients, and I think Amazonian Ayurveda would be fantastic. I am all for honoring the principles and discovering American Ayurveda or in my case Californian Ayurveda. I look forward to the day when I can get castor oil from Californian castor plants or understand our native plant medicine enough to heal ourselves.

My latest find is powdered plantain leaf form Mountain Rose herbals. It is a gentle facial exfoliant and terrific mask ingredient even for my very sensitive skin.

Let us know your Ayurveda Local remedies.

melaniesachs@earthlink.net

No comments: